Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red Eft care, help requested!

Risigan

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It has been a while since I last posted here. I finally got my hands on a red eft and I would like to get some help from you guys about its care. The biggest problem I have right now is feeding. I have a culture of springtails but I am unsure if they are too small for my eft, his head measures around .75cm across. He is pretty active and larger than the other efts I have kept. I will try to get pics of him and his terrarium soon.

Infamous82

Reaction score
I've always had good luck with fruitflies, and even the big "chain" pet stores will have cultures. D. melanogaster are smaller and cheaper, you can get a large culture at petco for $10 I think, and petsmart has small cultures of the bigger D. hydei. You can also order them online at places like josh's frogs. Hope that helps.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Feed them small clumps of live black worms on a think layer of wet paper towls, Fruit flies are good but they just climb up the sides of the tank and out of reach. Also try chopped small earth worms. They will also eat 1/8 and 1/4 sized crickets depending on the size of the efts. A good culture of white worms and dwarf purple Isopods are also great food sources. Otterwoman always has white worm cultures for sale and I always have dwarf costa rican isopods for sale if they become something you are interested in adding to their diets.

Risigan

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses everyone! My eft is around 1.5" not including his tail, which is far larger than the 1.5" total that the efts I tried to care for last time. In the terrarium there is a single small cricket (back legs removed) and a good number of white springtails that are just a bit smaller than pinhead. I am planning on getting some fruit flies, should I get D. hydei or D. melanogastor?

Risigan

Reaction score
Here are the photos. They bottle cap I used for a size reference is about 1" across. I finally got it to eat 1 small piece of chopped worm. As for fruit flies, should I get d. hydei or d. melanogastor? Sorry for the low pic quality!

DSC06705.jpg

DSC06710.jpg

DSC06713.jpg

reptile

Reaction score
I have some red efts and feed them mostly blackworms, i get the worms at the local pet store for $2, the worms usually last for 2 weeks or more in the fridge, and feed 6 large efts (i do change the water the worms are in every few days) . When i got the efts they only ate from tweezers and they grew really fat, after a month they started to feed from food put in front of them. i also feed them earthworms cut up, (one of my efts downed a 4 inch earth worm all alone :eek: and didnt eat for a few days), you can also feed them crickets every once in a while which is fun to watch since they "hunt" and catch their prey.

For susbtrate I use coir, which keeps the tank humid and doesnt get moldy, i also have some hides made from coconut which also doesnt moldy and some pieces of bark which they love to huddle under.

Risigan

Reaction score
I finally got my eft to eat small chopped earthworms. I quite unexpectadly found ANOTHER eft! Finding 2 efts a week apart that are both large and active is extremely uncommon for me. This is the first time in 2 years that I have found efts and believe me, I've looked. The second one is larger than first and he is quite a bit more active. I will post pics of him as soon as I can. Lastly, what size terrarium would be good for these guys? Would a 12"x7.5" container be good? I want to keep it just a bit small so it is easy for me to moniter their health and feeding.

Infamous82

Reaction score
That size D. hydei would be better but don't breed nearly as fast as melanogastor. You can feed them small crickets, but i have had red efts and some of my small Ambystoma refuse crickets. I've kept numerous small terrestrials in tupperware containers, 2 efts in the potluck 2qt size is fine, just put some small holes in the lid.

slowfoot

Reaction score
With efts that size, that are already eating earthworms, I wouldn't bother feeding with fruit flies or crickets. Unless you already have extra bug colonies going or like spending money. Earthworm bits are pretty much the perfect eft food, and flooding the containers with bugs will just result in a lot of uneaten bugs and escapees when you open the lid.

Reactions: Jan

Wildebeestking

Reaction score
I agree with Slowfoot. No need to vary their diet if you have a steady supply of earthworms. They're full of calcium and are some of the best food available. I occasionally feed mine isopods or bloodworms just because I always have some on hand from having to care for my other caudata. You've got two well developed efts right there. The first picture looks like he's losing his reddish color, same thing is happening to my largest eft right now.

Risigan

Reaction score
Here are the pics of the newest eft. As you can see he is larger and more robust that the other one. As for feeding, I am looking for something I can buy because it is getting colder now and finding worms is getting tougher. Will efts eat something that isn't moving? If so I can chop up some nightcrawlers into really small peices. I have plenty of frozen bloodworms (I have several fish tanks) so I might try those as well.

DSC06718.jpg

DSC06719.jpg

DSC06720.jpg

slowfoot

Reaction score
Even big nightcrawlers chopped into small pieces will still move a little. I've found that once they get a taste for worms, they'll seek out even non-moving pieces.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1