Sick axolotl

Little Monster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I posted last week about moving my new axolotl to a bigger tank and cycling.

Today I'm putting him in a bigger tank with fresh dechlorinated water and just transferring the substrate and ornaments to preserve the bacteria (if there are any).

I now have a test kit to keep an eye on ammonia parameters.

But..I've noticed my axolotl is looking a little unhealthier than he did last week when he arrived. I've been doing water changes daily and as much as I can, but I'm worried he might have ammonia poisoning. His gills have shrunk and he looks a little pale. He's eating every 2 or 3 days.

What can I do to make sure he's ok? Should I fridge him? Salt him? Should I post photos?

Thank you so much.

Salt baths and fridging are only necessary if it has an infection.
If you want to chack for ammonia levels I suggest buying a test kit for ammonia.

PS:ammonia cycle needs 7 days to build up and then converts it into NO2

It's a good sign that he's eating - fridging is only really need when an axolotl has a fungal infection or an internal impaction. I would check your ammonia levels as of course, they play havoc with axies health - To keep levels down and good water quality it's useful to do 20% water changes weekly. In the mean time if you're really concerned you could transfer him to a container to ensure he's definitely eating and his waters fresh - change daily. Place him somewhere cool and where he won't be disturbed so he can have a little "chill time"

Hello everyone!

Thanks for your suggestions; sorry I only just saw them.

My axolotl is looking a lot better. I moved him to a bigger tank, and am keeping an eye on ammonia levels. I'm doing water changes every 2 or 3 days; how much water I change depends on the reading I get. His gills are growing back, and he seems to be doing ok.

I'm waiting for some nitrites to appear..but I know that that can take a really long time. Should I be doing anything to speed up the process? Do I need to treat the tank for nitrites once they appear?

Thanks again!

Nitrites need to be removed just as ammonia: with water changes.

You want nitrates :) and cycling takes forever and it's pretty hard work, but keep at it! Your axie will thank you

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back