Axolotl not pooing

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Ross TxT-TPO
I won't bore you with all the details but basically our axolotl isn't and hasn't been pooing. It's been over 2 weeks now still he passed. He is currently in the fridge and has been for the past 3 days so I'm just looking for a bit of advice with regarding to what is best going forward. Should we :

a) keep him in the fridge until he passes?
b) keep him in his tank at the normal temperature?
c) something else?

Oh, I forgot to mention that he is still eating and very much looking for his food all the time. Should we continue to feed him or stop feeding him until he poos? Obviously we don't want to starve him but if it isn't coming out the other end then will he get bloated?

the classic signs of a impacted axie are floating and loss of appetite.

does your animal float and seem un-able to return to the bottom of the tank?

axie poop tends to disintegrate quickly too so keep this in mind. you may see sediments and the like in your trank, and this could be the end result of axie wastes. some axies even eat their waste (I've seen mine do this, gross eh?)

the classic signs of a impacted axie are floating and loss of appetite.

does your animal float and seem un-able to return to the bottom of the tank?

axie poop tends to disintegrate quickly too so keep this in mind. you may see sediments and the like in your trank, and this could be the end result of axie wastes. some axies even eat their waste (I've seen mine do this, gross eh?)

Nope, definitely no floating going on and he is still VERY keen on his food.

There has been no sign of him passing at all. There is normally at least a bit of mess left afterwards but there has been nothing recently.

What are you feeding him?
I find that earthworms tend to make things pass a bit quicker

I've had trouble finding poo when feeding my lot bloodworm and earthworm so maybe he is passing and it's disintegrating rapidly? I've noticed I find it alot more often when mine have been on pellets when there's nothing else available.

I would guess it has constipation, lowering water temparature and level should help.
This only me guesing.

Hope it helps, and good luck.

Does he have gravel on the bottom of the tank??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back