Horned warty newt described as new species, Paramesotriton maolanensis

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A large, smooth-skinned warty newt with a semblance of horns at the back of the head, was previously reported as unknown and closely related to Paramesotriton (Allomesotriton) longliensis.

In an open-access paper published October 9, 2012, this species is formally described as Paramesotriton (Allomesotriton) maolanensis. The paper includes anatomical, genetic, and ecological data. There is no evidence of genetic sharing with P.longliensis, which further supports the view that P.longliensis and P.zhijinensis (which is more distant genetically) are separate and distinct species. The new species is thus far only known from a deep, stream-fed pool in a nature reserve, which has no above-ground outlet. The pool presumably flows into an underground river, and the new species may thus be partially troglobitic and may also be located elsewhere in the stream system.

Additional data are presented which suggest that P.(A.) caudopunctatus consists of at least two distinct species.

http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2012/f/zt03510p052.pdf

XIAOMING GU, RONGRONG CHEN, YINGZHOU TIAN, SONG LI & JINGCHENG RAN, 2012. A new species of Paramesotriton (Caudata: Salamandridae) from Guizhou Province, China. Zootaxa 3510: 41–52 (9 Oct. 2012) 8 plates; 23 references

Abstract

In this study, we describe a new species of salamander, Paramesotriton maolanensis sp. n., from the Maolan National Nature Reserve, Libo County, Guizhou Province, China. The new species is placed in the genus Paramesotriton based on morphological characteristics and molecular data. It differs from all other members of the genus in a number of morphological characteristics, especially in its much larger body size, absence of granular warts from head and body, largely reduced external eyes and peculiar shape of epibranchia in hyoid apparatus. We examined the relationships of nuclear POMC haplotypes between and within the new species and six recognized species. POMC variation and published mitochondrial data suggested that the new species’ closest known relatives are P. longliensis, P. zhijinensis and P. caudopunctatus, and it should be placed into the P. caudopunctatus species group or subgenus Allomesotriton.

Wow, the shape of the snout and the degraded eyes really suggest adaptation to a cave live. A couple of hundred thousand years more and they would have found a blind, unpigmented cave dweller.
Quite remarkable....thanks for sharing!

Incredible looking newt... a mix of Pachytriton and Paramesotriton... I think they really should open a new genus to place queers like these. The traditional definition of Paramesotriton is no longer available to animals with this kind of morphology. They arent even warty and their bodies suffered a good gradient of change from the present Paramesotriton species type of morphology.
As for the eyes, they are indeed turning smaller, I believe they don't have to trust that much in their sight at deep step pools lakes to hunt where the waters might be less crystal and much more shaded. And they might go trough a seasonal migration to underground water systems to breed or feed in a determinate food source that grows well under dark conditions. Therefore those situations might have contributed for a smaller use for their eyes in the process of looking for food and hunt it down.

Looking forward to more info about them.
Cheers,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back