From the dark side of herp love

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dunno whether to laugh or cry about this one...cry, probably, 'cause I do have a heart. But my gaawd...

Florida man dies after winning roach-eating contest - CNN.com

While it is true that insects and even roaches are considered edible delicacies elsewhere, it is also a good idea to cook them first. I mean, their guts are full of bacteria...:eek:

I was just reading this in a local newspaper. I agree with Molch's recommendations.

That's pretty interesting. I've met Ben Siegel. He seems like an o.k. guy. Maybe their was a lack of judgement in having the contest. It is following in the steps of "fear factor".

My snap analysis is it was probably some kind of allergic reaction. I'm allergic to blood worms. I've wondered what might happen if I mixed up my coffee cup and my cup of thawed blood worms.

I'm surprised people still have eating contests of any kind - they tend to be news-prone because people habitually keel over afterwards. A woman died a few years ago after a water-drinking contest. She drank so much so fast that it messed up the osmotic balance of her body fluids and she probably developed an edema in the brain. Well, she won an i-pod for her troubles. So yes, even water can kill ya if you drink too much. Over-stuffing your face with anything isn't a healthy idea.

I would definitely cross eating contests off my to-do list.

My snap analysis is it was probably some kind of allergic reaction. I'm allergic to blood worms. I've wondered what might happen if I mixed up my coffee cup and my cup of thawed blood worms.

I'm thinking an allergic reaction would have manifested itself much sooner. He must have been eating for a while to consume "dozens" of worms and roaches. If he'd been allergic, he probably wouldn't have gotten that far.

My guess is bacterial toxins from the gut of the roaches.

I'm thinking an allergic reaction would have manifested itself much sooner. He must have been eating for a while to consume "dozens" of worms and roaches. If he'd been allergic, he probably wouldn't have gotten that far.

My guess is bacterial toxins from the gut of the roaches.

I would be surprised if bacterial toxins could kill someone so quickly; I would think huge quantities would be needed. Bacteria would have to survive the hydrochloric acid in the stomachl(Insects use enzymes to digest, not acid, I believe), though like you said, COD could have been a toxin regardless.

It's hard to tell with allergies, but I also think it may be so. Allergic reactions can take hours to manifest itself when consumed, so it shouldn't be ruled out entirely.

Im allergic to blood worms too. If i feed the bettas at the pet store i work at my throat gets super itchy and my eyes puff up swollen to where I cant see.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Michael, I'd love to know how you found out you were allergic to blood worms ;)

If I'm working with bloodworms and rub my eyes my eyes swells up.

I have the same allergy to bloodworms but it only manifests itself if I am using the frozen blister pack cubes. I also have the same reaction if I touch my eyes its an immediate case of swelling and itching and I even had a respiratory attack one night and ended up in the er after my throat swelled shut......blackworms FTMFW!!!!!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like he was eating morio worms too, maybe they were the cause - morio worms have bites like horseflies, so if they were eaten whole, they could have caused serious damage to his stomach.
The things people do to gain an expensive snake, I personally would have just saved up some money :p

I think he must have been high to be able to eat them and had a heart attack because of the drugs and over eating.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back