Wanting to make a nice Axolotl Tank

FireTailz

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am going to make me a nice set up for 6 to 8 Axolotl and I was wanting to do a 90 gallon 48x18x25 . I am new to this so i am learning as i go. All our Axolotl are 1.5- to 2 in at the moment so i have alot of time to do this right. One of my main questions is how often will i have to do water changes . Any reccomendations are welcome , I am at the beginning stages of this just like to plan everything out before i start spending money. Also i am really wanting to do live plants so let me know what u think on that as well.

Re: Wanting to make a nive Axolotl Tank

If your going to make it I would make a bigger floor space such as either 48 X 24 X 15 or even for 8 axies I would consider 72 X 24 X 15. 6-8 full size axies are huge and to accommodate al the hides and plants you want to go big. I have a 48 X 15 X 21 for 3 axies and am looking to upgrade to a larger floor space. Just my personal opinion you should go with the 72 X 24 X (Whatever height you desire).

well they have a 135 gallon wide 72 x 24 x 17 cost a 150 bucks more but thats not really and issue. Just wasnt sure if i wanted to go that big, depending on what i come up with i may cut back a few axolotls. Also they have some thats 13 tall, would that be ok since they really need more floor space.

well they have a 135 gallon wide 72 x 24 x 17 cost a 150 bucks more but thats not really and issue. Just wasnt sure if i wanted to go that big, depending on what i come up with i may cut back a few axolotls. Also they have some thats 13 tall, would that be ok since they really need more floor space.

Yes 13 tall is not a problem they don't have to have a super tall aquarium. So that would be fine.

Ok after talking with a friend and compare prices on tanks I am going to go with a 70 wide 48x24x13 tall and just cut back on a few Axolotls . As far as filters he said I should use a Eheim Canister 2217 filter. Does anyone know if this will make to much current for them , he said if it did we could make a spary bar ( I think thats what he called it)

OK thanks for the link , I like that bar i may do that. If i wanted to do a planted tank cani use eco complete? I am open for anything on this as far as other options or if anyone dont reccomend live plants. Also do Axolotls mess with plants.

I am unsure of eco complete but live plants in my opinion are a must. I have many different species from floating anarchris, java fern, marimo moss ball, xmas moss, weeping moss more then I remember. There are several threads on different types of plants to use.

what do you use as a substrate

I use sand from petsmart. Just about an inch thick, I have mainly free floating plants so I don't have to worry about having them in the soil since a lot of people say their axies love to relandsacpe for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back