Illness/Sickness: 2 sick Axolotls :( Help!

AJ488

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey Guys,

I've had 2 axolotls for about 2 months now. They are both small (about 8cm) and until recently have been going really well.

A while ago I started noticing some damage to them both from nipping. I've tried to keep them well fed and feed them with separate jars to stop this but at the moment they both have a few shortened gills, some missing toes and one is missing a whole foot. :( The foot has started to grow back now though. I'd read that they shouldn't be housed together but I figured it was okay since they were together at the pet shop where I'd bought them. We learn from our mistakes I guess...

Recently I've noticed one axie, Carona, had started floating and having a buoyant rear end. He was always having to swim down and his tail was sticking up all the time. I thought this was maybe just a digestive issue that would sort itself out, however a few days ago he was floating on his side at the surface. I fridged him and after about 48 hours he stopped floating. I put him back into the tank and he was fine for a day but now he's started floating again. What could be the cause of this?

I've just noticed today that the other axie, Poncho, is peeling on his head and body in patches. Any ideas why this would occur?

I've tested the water and Ammonia and Nitrite are both 0, but I don't have a pH testing kit yet, might try and get one soon. They also have fake plants and a 2 sections of a Pirate Ship to hide in.

Any help would be much appreciated, I hate to see the little guys sick. :(

Corona sounds like he may have constipation issues. What substrate do you have in your tank? Could you post some pics? Sounds like the "patches" could be fungus.

I'll post pics soon. I have Large Black River Stones in the tank that I bought from a Pet Shop. Carona has been that way in varying degrees for about a week now. I feed them both frozen bloodworms.

Bit hard to get a photo but you can see a little bit on his head.

Also included a pic of the overall set-up.

Attachments

• IMAG0406.jpg
    IMAG0406.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 373
  • IMAG0407.jpg
    IMAG0407.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 363
number one, where did you get your spray bar i need one and we have the same filter ;)
number two that looks like heat stress, what is the temp?

The tank fluctuates between 18 and 22 degrees at the moment. The spray bar just came in the box with the filter, so I can't be any help there sorry. :(

Oh okay :( and that temperature fluctuation is probably what's stressing them out a bit, also his gills are really turned forward, another sign of stress Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity theres some photos here of stressed axololts. I suggest putting him/them into a large container each with fresh dechlorinated water, and leaving them still for a few days.

It's just the natural fluctuation of day and night. It doesn't change rapidly...

Won't putting them in a container allow the water to heat up even more?

I might try putting each one in a separate large plastic container this afternoon.

Carona is now just wedging himself under things so he doesn't float up to the surface. Poor little guy... :(

I'd suggest you put the container in a draw or cupboard with no windows etc, that way temp doesn't fluctuate. Also, the floating may be bloat. Which is pretty serious unless seen by a vet

It's just the natural fluctuation of day and night. It doesn't change rapidly...

Won't putting them in a container allow the water to heat up even more?

I might try putting each one in a separate large plastic container this afternoon.

Carona is now just wedging himself under things so he doesn't float up to the surface. Poor little guy... :(

one suggestion for the tank might be to get some insulation from a local hardware store
here in Dallas they sell large sheets of hard foam insulation, but 3 pieces to the size of the tank walls that face the windows and attach them, should help reduce the temp flux without having to move the tank
here the insulation is pretty cheap

you might also try wrapping a towel around the sides of the tank to reduce temp flux during the day

with either of these solutions be sure to leave the top of the aquarium open so you have max cooling through evaporation

What exactly is Bloat?

He does look a bit larger than his tank mate but I thought this was just due to growth. Anyone know of any Vets in Perth that handle Axolotls.

I'm going to make a mesh cover for the tank this weekend, and I'll put them in containers for a few days and see how they go. I'll also buy a chiller fan and get that set up to keep the temperature down. What should be a good temperature for axies? Below 24 degrees?

That is generally accepted however i have found that living in Australia that's just not possible as soon as it gets over 27 degrees here, my tank always sits a 20 degrees and at about 21-22 in summer. Do you know the sex of your axies? (Just thinking maybe eggs)

What exactly is Bloat?

He does look a bit larger than his tank mate but I thought this was just due to growth. Anyone know of any Vets in Perth that handle Axolotls.

I'm going to make a mesh cover for the tank this weekend, and I'll put them in containers for a few days and see how they go. I'll also buy a chiller fan and get that set up to keep the temperature down. What should be a good temperature for axies? Below 24 degrees?

Just to slightly put your mind at ease, bloat is VERY easy to recognize starting with swelling of the abdomen, followed by the legs and neck. At this point, I doubt your axie has bloat but is probably constipated (hence the buoyancy only affecting his rear end). One of mine gets this quite frequently and it usually passes after a couple of days but you have to learn your axies behavior (almost like children!) I think putting them in the containers is definitely a good idea for now. :happy:

Thanks for that guys. I'll put them in containers and let them settle for a few days while I make up a mesh lid and get a fan to keep the heat down. I noticed a rusty coloured fungus/algae on the pirate ship and in areas on the glass so I'll have to clean that out as well. They are both still eating so that is a good sign for now.

Here's some photos of a slighty floating and one of Carona. Gills were really turned forward this morning which isn't good. :/

Attachments

• IMAG0408.jpg
    IMAG0408.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 361
  • IMAG0409.jpg
    IMAG0409.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 527
  • IMAG0414.jpg
    IMAG0414.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 312
Nasty looking rusty coloured stuff on the Pirate ship. Any ideas what it is?

Attachments

• IMAG0416.jpg
    IMAG0416.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 535
Pop the axies in separate containers until they're tails are not curled, their gills aren't forward and the patches are gone that will prevent any further sickness also, pop the constipated one in the fridge for a while, that might help him pass

I'd say brown algae. Can only be physically removed :)

Have to agree, I doubt it's anything else in an aquatic setting, being as the ornament and such else is tank safe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back