Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding troubles :(

Olivia97

Reaction score
Now I've just tried feeding my axolotl on some earthworms, they are only maybe 10 cm long so i didn't feel the need to cut them for him, i figured I'd try alive ones. So i fed him 2 and came back 5 minutes later and he'd puked them up, i then tried with dead ones, he refused. Has anyone else had this trouble? He has only had them for the first time today and he's an adult. :(

Neil C

Reaction score
Do you know what kind of worms you are using? There are some worms sold over here that are called red tiger worms or something like that. The have a strong taste and most axolotls don't like them. It is possible to wean them on to them but you do need to wash them a lot. Some axolotls once they've tried them will never eat them again. Try feeding them worms that are a brown colour. If the worms you are trying are brown then I'm at a loss.

Regards Neil

xxianxx

Reaction score
Some axolotls will express a dislike for certain types of worms. Some of my axolotls will not eat the worms out of my compost bin but they will all eat lob worm. I did have a melanoid who would not eat any type of earthworm but that is very unusual. It is probably just the kind of worm you are using , try another if possible.

Olivia97

Reaction score
They're from my worm farm i have my suspicions i think they're the "red wrigglers" I washed them in hot water to kill them first and now he's eating them, i think it was just because he has never had a live worm before.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You don't have to kill them, just rinse the slime off. I rinse then wipe with a papertowel.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1