Piebalds

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
What happened to all the piebalds? I see pictures of them all the time in older textbooks from the late 80's-90's, but they seem to have all disappeared! The most recent piebald axolotl pic I've seen is from 2001.
My question is, how does one breed to create piebalds? What genetics are required to form a piebald? I would like to try to breed and create some piebalds, possibly raise their population a bit, because I absolutely love piebalds.

Here's a nice one from fairly recently and I believe Jay Sommers has produced some in the last year or two

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-discussion/77682-interesting-coloration.html

I believe they usually arise out of the leucistic gene and are usually one offs. I find it hard to believe that if you could selectively breed for them then why aren't there many more around. I've yet to see any that look as nice as the one on the cover of the old axolotl book by Scott.

Regards Neil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back