Question: Some questions regarding my first axolotls

Sketch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! Recently I lost all of the fish that inhabited my 20 gallon long tank. Upon doing research about what I could house in that tank, I decided that axolotls would be awesome to keep. I had done some research on them last winter, but things just didn't work out for me to get any at the time. I don't think I'll be able to get any axxies for another month or two, but I'm in the process of setting up and cycling the tank for them have a few questions. Help would be appreciated!

1. How many axolotls can I properly house in a 20 gallon long?

2. Is the Aquaclear filter I already have suitable for axolotls? It's already baffled and this keeps it from having a strong current.

3. What types of foods should I feed, and how much of each and how often? So far I've read that bloodworms and earthworms were the best. How should I feed these since axolotls don't have the best eyesight? I've also read that soft salmon pellets are good too. Is there a certain brand that's best?

4. Can snails be kept with axolotls? I have Malaysian Trumpet snails in my tank to keep the sand from getting anaerobic gas pockets from forming. But with axolotls tendency to eat gravel and such, I'm afraid they would eat on of my snails (who can be relocated to another tank if they can't coexist with the axolotls)!

5. Does anyone know places or breeders in Michigan that have axolotls available? I know Preuss Pets in Lansing carries them, but I'm not sure they carry leucistics which is what I really have my heart set on. They definitely didn't have any when I was there about a year ago.

I'm a fairly experienced aquarium hobbyist, but these little critters are so unique that I'm a little scared of getting something wrong! I'm sure I'll have more questions before and after getting my axolotls, but I think this is it for now! Thanks in advance for any help! :happy:

1. How many axolotls can I properly house in a 20 gallon long?
Housing is a largely debated topic, labs keep them in fish bowls and 5 gallon pales with no problems. (I am in no way suggesting this by the way) For a tank that size I would say 2-3, but if I were to go 3 I would get older less active axolotls.

2. Is the Aquaclear filter I already have suitable for axolotls? It's already baffled and this keeps it from having a strong current.
Any filter will work in theory as long as it's appropriate to the size of the tank. If you have the water current fixed you'll be fine if it still seems like to much switch over to a sponge they're cheap and easy.

3. What types of foods should I feed, and how much of each and how often? So far I've read that bloodworms and earthworms were the best. How should I feed these since axolotls don't have the best eyesight? I've also read that soft salmon pellets are good too. Is there a certain brand that's best?
I feed mine a staple of earthworms. I also feed them feeder fish and pellets. Since mine are older I only feed them 2-3 times a week. When they're juveniles you should feed them once a day. I fed my juviniles solely bloodworms until they were big enough for earthworms. You can feed them pellets as well I just didn't have any the right kind around me. Most axolotls will sniff out their food. You can use tongs or your bare hands if you don't mind getting wet as well.

4. Can snails be kept with axolotls? I have Malaysian Trumpet snails in my tank to keep the sand from getting anaerobic gas pockets from forming. But with axolotls tendency to eat gravel and such, I'm afraid they would eat on of my snails (who can be relocated to another tank if they can't coexist with the axolotls)!
I would not put any snails in the tank their shells can cause the axolotls to be impacted.

5. Does anyone know places or breeders in Michigan that have axolotls available? I know Preuss Pets in Lansing carries them, but I'm not sure they carry leucistics which is what I really have my heart set on. They definitely didn't have any when I was there about a year ago.
Most pet shops don't care for axolotls as well as they should. So I would be weary about buying one from a pet shop. Jay has top notch axolotls if you're willing to pay the shipping price.

I would say no more than 2 in a 20 gallon, just to be sure. If you find they stay out of each other's way and aren't over active axys then maybe a third?

Thanks so much for the help everyone! Hopefully I should be ordering two axies from Jay here within the next few days!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back