Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help caring for axie eggs and babies

xasdfcore

Reaction score
I'm getting about 35 axolotl eggs next week. I just need a little help making sure they grow up healthy.
I know what to feed them, and ill be using the method pinned at the top of this forum. But where can I get a good amount of shrimp eggs at a decent price, and how many should I hatch each day for 35 babies?
Also, would it be best to raise them together until their legs and such are grown, or should I separate the eggs in plastic containers from the start
I also plan on giving some away to family and friends- how old should they be When I do that?
Any and all help is appreciated!

xxianxx

Reaction score
You should be able to get brine shrimp eggs off ebay in the US. I tend to hatch 1/4 of a teaspoon (not sure if the US teaspoon is the same as the UK one) of eggs for about 50 babies daily, that is more than will eat but it provides them plenty of food, just make sure you do daily water changes as that volume of food will destroy your water quality. If you wish to separate them into individual containers you will soon get sick of the water changes, you can raise them all together but be prepared for missing limbs etc when they get bigger after about a month, you could seperate them by size if you wish to reduce the levels of cannibalism at that point. I generally let my axolotls go when they are feeding on frozen foods, which can be about 2" as many people who get them when they are smaller may not be able to provide live food, the exception would be to those who know what they are doing. I like to use a bare bottomed tanks, light aeration and lots of free floating plants for raising babies.

xasdfcore

Reaction score
They will be in a 20gL cycled aquarium with a bare bottom. I am ordering some moss and duckweed to add. (theres a few zebra danios in it atm but they will be removed)
I was wondering if I could maybe have them separated in small containers that float within the tank but allow water flow. So I'd only have to do water changes every 2 or 3 days.
Also there's a 30g filter in the tank but I can adjust the output so that its very minimal.

I've been looking into getting some daphnia for them. Would that work? Or should I just get brine shrimp?

xxianxx

Reaction score
They will be in a 20gL cycled aquarium with a bare bottom. I am ordering some moss and duckweed to add. (theres a few zebra danios in it atm but they will be removed)
I was wondering if I could maybe have them separated in small containers that float within the tank but allow water flow. So I'd only have to do water changes every 2 or 3 days.
Also there's a 30g filter in the tank but I can adjust the output so that its very minimal.

I've been looking into getting some daphnia for them. Would that work? Or should I just get brine shrimp?

I am not sure how you would manage to create water flow through containers that would leave the baby axolotls inside them as they are very small. If you could post a pic that would be interesting. Daphnia would be prefferable to brine shrimp if you can get them as they dont foul the water as fast, the problem is the cost off feeding if they are shop bought, 35 axolotls will consume loads in a couple of months and if you are growing them your self they are prone to crashing. If you can use both it would be better because if you have a problem with one type of live food you have an alternative, many people run out of food for axolotl babies and it can lead to starvation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!