Illness/Sickness: Constipated axie?

karena

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

iv had my axies for about 7 months now. they're about 10 months old and between 5-6inches. i have two axies in my bare bottom tank.

one seems to be floating a little and his cloaca seems very swollen and a little red. I'm not sure if he has pooped for a couple of days as im not sure which one is pooing. :confused:

I'm not sure what i should be doing to help him poop. im trying to keep the temp as low as possible, its around 19 degrees at the mo.

please help.

If you had pictures it would help. In thinking it may be constipated and showing off that he's a male as well. As long as your temperatures are cool you don't really need to do anything. It should fix itself on its own.

One of mine is always getting constipated and I tend to let nature run its course. He's usually right as rain after a couple of days so I hope this is the case with yours.

thanks guys, he seems to float a little to one side and isnt really moving as he normally is so thats why i think hes constipated. i will try and upload pics for you to comment on.

hey guys, finally managed to upload a pic? do you still think its constipation or something more serious? what should i do? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG-20121018-const.jpg
    IMG-20121018-const.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,433
hi olivia, well ive got two in the tank at the mo and their about 9 months old. i think theyre both boys but could be wrong. is it too early to sex them at that age?

Hmm I would say yes and no. Some it's really easy to tell and others not. He doesn't look abnormal in that photo however the floating worries me. Just to check, there's no snails, stones, marbles etc that he may have swallowed accidentally? On another note you might be finding "sperm packets" on the floor soon. If the floating continues maybe post some photos of its head, and possibly from above?

thank you. i will do, hes not floating as much. im trying to keep the temp down as much as possible. i will try and post more pics soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back