Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sand STICKING to them????

Reaction score
Hi all, long time since I've posted. I was in the middle of moving and had drained their large tank and had them in a temporary one. Moved the tank, poured the sand back in and refilled it. Let it sit a couple days to allow the chlorine to fully evaporate. Don't have any water parameters as it honestly should be all 0s at this point...

I transferred them this morning and out of 5, 1 is dead, and the 4 others do not look good at all. Its like the sand has STUCK to their skin and gills. This is the same sand they were in before, it settled well, etc. I have them all in containers with fresh bottled water and did my best to wipe the sand off but now their skin is peeling with it....

Very confused :/

Morrison

Reaction score
I sometimes see the sand sticking to my axies as well. Maybe it's because they're a little slimey.

argray90

Reaction score
You said you let the chlorine evaporate but most water has chloramines in it as well which does not evaporate and you much buy something like Amquel+ to treat for chloramines. Just would be my guess over the sand sticking to them because when I first set up my tank I did not treat for chloramines similar to you and the shrimp I was trying to cycle the tank with died.

Reaction score
:( They're all gone - they were literally covered in sand when I got home from work several hours after transferring them - it was very odd and I've never seen it or had it happen before...and it is the same sand that was in their tank before and never caused a problem. I've done their water this way before and its never been an issue - but I will test it tomorrow just to be sure it wasn't that...

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that :( I think you should test that water quality right away so you can either rule it out or see if its the culprit..
As for chlorine control its pretty much a MUST to treat the water as there's so much going on in tap water these days. How deep is your sand? I'm no sand expert as I used river rock in my tanks but was wondering if the sand being contained could have caused some sort of anaerobic activity. Also what did you keep the sand in whilst moving and did you wash it afterwards. Do you use a filter in your tank? If so what kind; sponge, canister etc.

Cleigh9579

Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss, I would really like to know more, as I have sand. And would like to keep this from happening.

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
so sorry for your losses, if you find out what happened, please let us know.

I am so happy every day that my water does not have chloramines!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1