Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Disinfecting equipment

Sam77

Reaction score
Hi, I did a search, but couldn't find much information on this, so hopefully someone will be able to help me? I have had my axies for nearly a year, and was just wondering whether I should be using anything to disinfect/ sterilise the tongs, turkey baster, siphon etc with? I currently only use hot water, but am worried that I could be transferring infection to the tank, especially as one sadly died yesterday. I did a large water change, but is there anything else I should do, as I don't know why she died? I am worried that the others might catch something. Thank you

esn

Reaction score
Diluted bleach, then vinegar, then rinse in hot water. Or simply vinegar and hot water, but if you're worried, definitely go the first route. I've had some trouble with a contaminated tank before (from a friend who washed it in dish soap then forgot to tell me) that was definitely harmful. Bleach can be harmful as well, but the vinegar will strip it.

Depends on what your axolotl died with, and it sounds like it was in the same tank. If it was water quality the water change should be fine, but if it was actually a water contamination, then completely cleaning the tank would be best... Again, if you're unsure or worried, just go ahead and do the full tank clean. You can soak everything in bleach water or vinegar water. Better safe than sorry.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Only if you have reason to believe that you have an infection and are transfering pathogens between tanks, would I worry about disinfection. As you say you have had your systems for a year and if you haven't changed anything where new pathogens would be introduced (new animals, contaminated equipment, etc.) and you don't know why the animal died...sterilizing tanks could produce greater risk. Before sterilizing/disinfecting I would assure that water quality (rather than infection) is not the issue. For routine cleaning of tanks and equipment, I too only use hot water.

Here is an article from Caudata Culture that explains methods for disinfecting should you choose that route: Caudata Culture Articles - Quarantine and Disinfection

Rea124

Reaction score
ya unless youre sure there is something making them sick i wouldnt worry because you dont want to take the axies out the clean the stuff and stress them out even more.

Sam77

Reaction score
Thanks all of you, I know it wasn't water quality as I test it 1-2 weekly, or as soon as I have an issue, she has been looking stressed for a few weeks and I didn't move her out, as I don't have a spare large tank and she was still eating etc. so I thought she would be better off where she was. I didn't think she was at all likely to die, or infectious or I would have moved her straight away. I was just worried that maybe I should be disinfecting the tweezers, baster, syphon etc. on a regular basis and maybe I introduced something by not doing this. So using just hot water on all equipment after each use is alright then? Thanks for all your help ;)

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've been at this for many years and I only use hot water and dedicated sponges (without cleaning agents) on all of my terrestrial and aquatic set ups for routine cleaning.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1