Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Adding a new Newt?

Alfredo21

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So i have Had Alfredo my Chinese firebelly newt for about 6 months now. I did have another newt when i first started out but he got out of the tank, ( because i did not know that you needed a tight closed tank ) and well that was the end of Breadsticks:(. since then i have moved Alfredo to a 10 gallon tank, florished it with both live and fake plants, added sand, and a platform, and got a versa top lid with a light. ( no heat )

Could i get another newt or are they mostlty solitary? even if it is the same sex as Alfredo? and if so how would i introduce them?

thanks guys:tongue:

Wildebeestking

Reaction score
It should be safe to introduce a second one if you wanted to. I've never had a cynops attack another if I introduced one, so from what I understand they don't mind, regardless of their sex. If you're worried of parasites or communicable diseases you could quarantine the new newt for a stretch of time, though, I've never had any issue with my newts getting infections. I'm actually going to be getting some new firebellies soon! Good luck with yours.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would encourage you to look for captive bred animals if you decide to get more. All newts from pet shops are wild caught and likely to have a difficult acclimatization to captivity if they make it at all.
Quarantine should be a must.
Hypselotriton orientalis is very rarely aggressive other than the occasional mistake during a feeding frenzy which normally is not an issue. You should have no problems if you introduce healthy animals, regardless of their sex.

Alfredo21

Reaction score
Thank you, we'll the place that I was going to get one from no longer sells them.. but how would I know if they are captive bred or not? Would that mean I should go to a reptile show for that or? Where do you guys normally get yours?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Breeders. It may take some patience but you should eventually find a breeder that will ship to your area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1