Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Attempting to fridge a sick ax.

jellycrystals

Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for such an excellent forum!

My little ax, Rancor, is not well at all. Stopped eating, fungus attack, painfully thin. Using your guide to fridge him in case he swallowed a pebble, yes, I had them in my tank *facepalm*.

Basic stats of tank:
- 25L
- 19 deg (coming into Oz summer will be a challenge)
- 7.1 pH
- Large river stones (not swallowable) NOW but there were small pebbles
- Earthworm and ax pellets as food but started experimenting when he started throwing everything up (lead to water fouling when I couldn't clean it all I think)
- No nitrate test at this time
- Top drop water filter with spreading bar
- 1 small plant

I salt bathed him to stop the fungus and his gills all but fell off with the fungus. Super worried that he has a rock in his guts (nothing swollen or visible by the cloaca).

Attachments

• IMG_20121019_084919.jpg
    IMG_20121019_084919.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 0B4IoZ8teqKc1YVZ6TV9aNjR2ZGc-1.jpg
    0B4IoZ8teqKc1YVZ6TV9aNjR2ZGc-1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_20121019_085008.jpg
    IMG_20121019_085008.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 311

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest I would not put him in a fridge. Place his tank/ container in a cool room and feed regular small meals at least twice a day. Your little guy is extremely skinny.
What have you been feeding him?

jellycrystals

Reaction score
I did post what I fed him. He was eating earthworms (we have a worm farm) happily then just stopped eating. He ate a few ax pellets then stopped then I tried tuna, prawn, steak, mince all vommed back up. Bought some bloodworm/spinach frozen blocks too. I can hardly remember the last time he ate :(

He is in the fridge now, last of the fungus is flaking off and he seems slightly darker. Nothing excreted yet.

Thanks for the help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!