Fused eggs

Stacey87

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
axie-addict
Right to start with my axolotls bred and layed eggs a few weeks ago, the eggs all hatched and the babies are growing great.

yesterday i woke up to find yet more eggs in the tank.

is it normal to lay eggs approx 5 weeks after the first batch? ( the first batch she layed 80 eggs, and this time 60 eggs)

on removing the eggs from the tank i noticed a few of them had two eggs in each sack!! today when ive checked the eggs, the two separate eggs in the sack have now fused together!! so now i have 6 sets of fused eggs.

is this normal???
will the eggs still grow and hatch as normal??
are they likely to survive??

any answers will be greatly appreciated thank you.

Would love to see some pics. Macro shots can be hard though if you do not have a macro equiped camera.

pictures would be interesting!

sorry about the quality but here are two of the fused eggs, this is the best pic i could get on my cameraphone.

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 288
I'm afraid it is normal for the female to lay eggs quite quickly after a previous laying, the only way to prevent this is to separate the different sexes.
I was going to say this was quite normal until I saw the photo's. I have seen two eggs in one egg sack, and these develop as normal. I personally have not seen the eggs actually appearing to join like in the photo's. One of the more clever Caudata members should be able to answer this. Could you possibly keep their development updated in this thread? I would love to see what happens :D Do you know what colour the parents are?

It seems like you might end up having a chimera. Keep their growth updated, as axolotls have been known to fuse and live as a single individual. I've seen pictures of axolotls who's color was split right down the middle. This is very rare, however.

yes i will keep this post updated on their development, the male is a wild type i think, and the female is a white albino.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back