Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New venture to save our axies!

Olivia97

Reaction score
Over the next few months I will be putting together a fact "booklet" LFS with all the info you could possibly need for a basic axolotl setup from the tank to feeding etc. I was a victim of their false info and I don't want anyone else to have the same problem, I plan to distribute them free of charge to everyone who sells them

AngieD

Reaction score
A highly commendable project, I wish you luck with your venture :)

axybaby

Reaction score
Wonderful idea Olivia!

If you were to post a copy online when its completed I'd love to print it off and distribute some to my lps' who sell Axies :D

FX1C

Reaction score
Brilliant!!! Fantastic job :D

The only thing I would suggest is to give the natural alternative remedies their own table - they are hard to see tacked on the bottom & at first glance it seems they are in the Unsafe column.

I would dearly like to steal parts from it to create a printed axolotl care sheet - with your permission of course!!! :D

<3 >o_o< <3

Kerry M

Reaction score
I agree, great job Olivia! I would be happy to pass it around in the Newcastle area. I wish that someone had given me this sheet when we bought our first axie.

millerj76

Reaction score
Hi, congratulations on your factsheet/ care guide,my axolotls have always eaten meal/morio worms, so just wondering why they are on the avoid list? Never had an ill axolotl, always been healthy and happy, have used dried mealworms and live mealworms, with both adults and juvies. Also fed them with groundworms, bloodworms, brineshrimp, and used boiled egg yolk for hatchlings as a last resort, with healthy juvies being the result.

Olivia97

Reaction score
Meal worms have an undigestable exoskeleton and should be fed in moderation or better yet, not at all. Thanks for that feedback, I'll do an update tomorrow and repost :D yes of course you can steal it!

FX1C

Reaction score
Hi, congratulations on your factsheet/ care guide,my axolotls have always eaten meal/morio worms, so just wondering why they are on the avoid list? Never had an ill axolotl, always been healthy and happy, have used dried mealworms and live mealworms, with both adults and juvies. Also fed them with groundworms, bloodworms, brineshrimp, and used boiled egg yolk for hatchlings as a last resort, with healthy juvies being the result.

Freeze dried foods contains very little nutritional value (if any)

I would avoid sticking absolutely everything they can eat on the list & stick to the top foods - putting the others in an in case of an emergency to be used sparingly column - otherwise I cringe because if people see it on the ok list they may just feed that
eg. Raising an adult axie on egg yolk 'because its on the list'

sorry but I've already seen it in the short time I've been on these forums...
there'll be 7replies from the well respected experts on here saying earthworms - then 1 noob will post
"I feed mine m&ms & my axie loves them" then all of a sudden the original poster will see that & say
"cool thanks I'll try m&ms!"
Yes it's an exaggeration just to make a point .... :eek:

Keeping the lists simple - will save it being misunderstood :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Olivia97

Reaction score
Freeze dried foods contains very little nutritional value (if any)

I would avoid sticking absolutely everything they can eat on the list & stick to the top foods - putting the others in an in case of an emergency to be used sparingly column - otherwise I cringe because if people see it on the ok list they may just feed that
eg. Raising an adult axie on egg yolk 'because its on the list'

sorry but I've already seen it in the short time I've been on these forums...
there'll be 7replies from the well respected experts on here saying earthworms - then 1 noob will post
"I feed mine m&ms & my axie loves them" then all of a sudden the original poster will see that & say
"cool thanks I'll try m&ms!"
Yes it's an exaggeration just to make a point .... :eek:

Keeping the lists simple - will save it being misunderstood :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Updating now :)

Morrison

Reaction score
Mind if I translate it into Dutch, so that I can hand it out to the local pet store people who like to 'torture' axolotls in their terrible environment? :)

millerj76

Reaction score
Thanks for reply to my earlier post, always found the shell/skeleton of the mealworms had been discarded by my axolotls and mainly the innards had been eaten, and also very aware of the low nutrition in freeze dried food, but axxies can be a bit funny and refuse groundworms and bloodworms, experiencing this was when i tried them,(live mealworms) and they actually ate them fine, put good weight on, and were very healthy and active, so they became part of my food list, as well as worms waxworms (fatty i know) groundworms, bloodworms . So to say they should be used in moderation or better yet not at all is maybe not totally true, when i have experienced healthy axolotls feeding on mealworms...

FX1C

Reaction score
Thanks for reply to my earlier post, always found the shell/skeleton of the mealworms had been discarded by my axolotls and mainly the innards had been eaten, and also very aware of the low nutrition in freeze dried food, but axxies can be a bit funny and refuse groundworms and bloodworms, experiencing this was when i tried them,(live mealworms) and they actually ate them fine, put good weight on, and were very healthy and active, so they became part of my food list, as well as worms waxworms (fatty i know) groundworms, bloodworms . So to say they should be used in moderation or better yet not at all is maybe not totally true, when i have experienced healthy axolotls feeding on mealworms...

Just on the subject of freeze dried foods... The quality of the freeze dried product would depend on it's origins & the country of manufacture. I guess if you buy a good brand they will hopefully be a better quality item before being freeze dried & therefore a better end product.

There has been melamine found in other pet food items from China & it has been the cause of 100's of pets in the USA dying :eek: so personally I would not feed anything that is made in China.

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1