Question: Java Wood: Safe or stay away?

Elafacwen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Found a really awesome piece of Java Wood that would make an excellent hide. It was labelled for reptile use, but google has told me it is aquarium safe.
However, is it axolotl safe? It has been soaking for over 24 hours, and I have changed the water twice. Not sure how long I should soak it, and I may even boil it...
Advice?

When I made my first Fire Belly Newt tank, I had some of it. However, mine got a fine, white film of rot/slime on it after a few weeks. However, my tank was really new, and hadn't really settled in yet, so I think it was more due to my tank being new than anything else. I have seen Java wood used at a local pet store here in town, completely submersed with fish and it seems to be doing just fine.

Also, I don't know how much tannin it has, but I would boil it in water a little bit to prevent your water from turning brown.

All driftwood gets that white fungus on it when it's in the initial stages of sinking. It can take a couple of months for it to go away but it will on it's own. The fungus is harmless but looks pretty werid and can coat other tank surfaces.

I recommend scrubbing the fungus off daily while you're sinking the wood, until you don't see it reappear. Ghost shrimp will also clean the fungus off of surfaces and make a tasty axie treat!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back