Red feft loose in house -how to find?

lele

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
We had 2 little efts for photos and observation and apparently the lid was not secure. Last night was their second night and they were to be released today. However, I have now found them gone. I keep herps & tarantulas and very careful about housing so am very distraught that this has happened. Considering the time of year, I really did not expect them to search for food, but wiht the house being warmer than outside had put a shallow bowl with a few very tiny mealworms in just in case (they are still there).

Of course, I will look today as I am fear of them drying out, but know they will probably come out this evening and wondering the best way to find them. Would they have gone far? They were on a cabinet so wondering if they'd have been able to go down to the floor or not.

Thank you for your help (and hopefully) for not wasting time giving me grief.

Look under couches and furniture. I once found my escapee under the couch in the living room, however I was too late. I hope you find it.

The couch it was under was in the next room, about 20 feet away. They should be somewhere shady and relatively hidden along the floor. I don't see why they would go up when they can just stick to flat, even floor.

Thank you for your reply. I did find them shortly after I posted. One was not all that far, on the floor as you said, along the same wall where it had escaped under a piece of foam. It was drying but I put it in shallow water for a minute to clean off and and then back into its little home. It seems to be fine and I think ate a bit last night. I will make sure before release.

Unfortunately, the other, about 4' beyond the first, had been caught up in dust and it was too late. I am so very angry at myself:mad: for allowing this to happen. I usually only keep wilds if they are hurt, for rehab, so this is most distressing :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back