Wounded neuergus

erik3333

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I recently discovered one of my Neuergus crocatus has a wound on its side. The animal doesn't seem too bothered by it and it continues to act normal. When i examined it and touched the wound with a swab, there was a strong garlic-like smell. I have no idea if it came from the wound or was a reaction of the animal itself, but i would like to heal the wound altogether. What should i do? The animal is being kept aquatic.

Anyone?

I found that the red spots are actually spreading on its body, giving off a foul smell. Could this be bacterial tuberculosis?
I have now isolated the animal and put it on moist paper towls. What more can I do for it???

Luckily the rest of the group don't seem affected. No red spots and really alert.

Try to upload a picture.
It sounds like sores in which case, it´s a difficult thing to treat. The ideal option would be taking the animal to a vet. Alternatively, the usual treatment are salt baths and neosporin (without pain killers).

Where did it come from? I go to great lengths keeping everything hygienic...:(

It could be insufficient ventilation, inadequate humidity levels, or a combination of the two, but also the result of an inhibited inmune system perhaps due to stress...it could be a lot of things, it´s difficult to say.

Is this not the mysterious infection that seems to plague the old imported crocatus that was written on the Neurergus Crocatus care sheet?

I don't think so, they haven't reached adulthood yet.

Anyway, sadly it has passed away, measuring nearly 10 centimeters this was one of my biggest juveniles and a really beatiful animal :( Its body was covered in small red sores...

Now i'm hoping the other 4 are not infected. So far i see no evidence of that. Should I decontaminate the whole tank, just in case? I don't want to stress the others out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back