Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Whats wrong with this axolotl?

ethan

Reaction score
Hi, i have not posted on this forum for many months, im not sure if this is the right section so here goes:

There is a pair of albino axolotls at the high school that i go to, and when i went in to feed them today one of them (the pure white one) was a very pink colour, and you could see its veins all along its body. it also looked very very fat. I dont have any pics so i might try to get some later. it also was not moving alot. whays wrong? the tank is about to be cooled as summers coming up.

any help would be appreciated.
:happy:

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Seeing blood vessels through the skin of an albino or leucistic axolotl is common. Unless its gills are shrinking and it is trying to climb out along the edges of the tank. I does not sound like anything is wrong. Check the pH and ammonia levels to be safe. If you do not have a test kit do a 10-30% water change to be on the safe side.

ethan

Reaction score
Hi,

The white one has died! :( :( i will try to upload some pics of them.

the orange one looks stressed.... what do we do? the water is about 20.C and we will do a water test

pics of the orange one and white one.

Attachments

• axolotl 2.jpg
    axolotl 2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 957
  • axolotl.jpg
    axolotl.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 440
  • dead axie.jpg
    dead axie.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3,398
  • frvvf.jpg
    frvvf.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 511
  • fsffggf.jpg
    fsffggf.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 490

kay

Reaction score
Try to lower that water temperature; 20c is still too high. Also, check you water parameters. The axolotl that died has severely shrinked gills; this could be a sign that something is very wrong with the tank environment.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Something is severely wrong. That is not normal looking vessels that I was talking about. It looks bloated. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of internal bacterial infection going on. The gills are pale and shrinking. You should frig him to give him a chance to rest but honestly it does not look good. Make sure you test your water for pH and ammonia levels. It almost always goes back to water quality as a cause of stress that is followed by opportunistic diseases.

ethan

Reaction score
Hi,

What are the correct pH and ammonia levels?? i do not have very much time to be on the forum and im not too sure where to look for the right information

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!