Hi, from newbie Axolotl owner

Ange17

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am new on here and new keeping Axolotls. I have had 'Adam' for just over a week and he's settling well and happily worm munching! he is 6 months old and is a golden axolotl. Hoping to get him a friend soon but not a lot for sale in my area so he's alone at the moment. Hope to have some good axolotl chats and gain advice on here :happy:

Welcome. The biggest problem new owners have is they don't cycle their tanks. If you have done that things should be easy for you.

Well I set up the tank with sand and water and filter a week before I had him. I change two litres of water daily, its a 4 foot tank,not sure how many litres it holds. Haven't got a water testing kit yet as they only seem to sell ph ones around here not ammonia/ nitrate ones, going to get some off the internet. he seems happy so far though and is active and eating well, I'm sure he's grown quite a bit since I had him. He not keen on the dried food I got as an alternative but I have a large wormery so he's got a good supply!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back