Country
United Kingdom
Hi ive got 2 baby axies i have a 90 ltrtank (3ft) water at 70•f
Few questions

• do all axies have mad moments? Mine seem to be
Very chilled n then have mad moments where they become very active

• one of my babies gills go pale then very red then pale then very red
Is this bad?

• how do i tell the sex of them is there a way?

Please excuse me if any of my questions seem ridiculous
But its like having a newborn im constantly worrying ha x

Hi Moobear :)

Im sure all axolotls are different but from what Ive read and seen they usually have periods of rest/"sleep" then actively swim and have a nosey.
Ive read that an axolotls gills are similar to our cheeks and become full of colour and flushed when they are active and oxygen is flowing, I know for sure my two are quite pale when resting and vibrant when they are active.
You may have to wait until they are a bit older to sex, Usually the male becomes very swollen at the vent and females are often more rounded in the tummy but I'm sure posting a few pix and asking some one may be able help better.

I hope Ive gave informative and helpful answers if not anyone feel free to correct me :eek:

Ahh i see i havent been able to find anything about the gill colours anywhere thats why i asked :)
Much help n put my mind at ease wont be so worried now i thought
It may have been a sogn of illness as only 1axie goes pale n vibrant.
Thank you xxx

When axolotls sit around doing nothing/sleeping they tend to go paler, this is very noticible with wild types. Mine go from a dark mottled colour to pale grey and the gills become plighter as well.

You might notice that the gills will get bright 'red' when you feed them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back