Illness/Sickness: New axolotls with swollen lumpy tummys

Vicki

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi wondering if anyone could help me, im new to having axolotls and worried there not well:uhoh::uhoh: Ive had floss and flump now for two and a half weeks and there lovely, happy and friendly. but ive noticed today that both there tummys are swollen and lumpy. I have fine sand in there tank with no rocks or anything that they could swollow, but they were kept in a tank with gravel at the pet shop :mad:. Since we got them there tummys have looked very dark like they have gravel inside? (they are white with pink gills so quite see through:happy:) They have been eating happily. We feed them once a day with either wax worms or blood worms or earth worms, which they seem to really enjoy and happily eat. The day we got them i removed one poo from there tank, at least i think thats what it was, it looked like a small brown pellet? But nothing since so could they be constipated? Could they be blocked up with gravel? And if so what can we do to help? Hate to think that there in pain :(

Pics would greatly help here. If they're eating that's a good sign, there may not be an issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back