Question about spermatophores

dvsgal

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sarah Borda
If I happen to get my hands on some spermatophores and I put them in Buttercups tank, could there be a chance that she will pick up the cap of the spermatophores and lay fertile eggs without a male present in the tank???

Unfortunately I don't think it's that simple. Axolotls do have a courtship display with a lot of nudging and following each other around the tank. This courtship would serve to make the female receptive so without this she probably hasn't got a clue what the spermatophores are.The spermatophores are also attached to something in the tank so the female can postion herself over them. If they are just floating around in the tank I think the chances of fertilization are zero. No harm in trying though I guess.

Regards Neil

I agree with Neil. I don't think it works like that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back