How slow/fast development should be

layna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Layna
Hello, ive been reading this website for ages but became a member today :) after searching A LOT of posts i think im doing okay, however a few questions.

1) my lotls are around 4-6 weeks old now and i can see one has legs and is starting to get little fingers, but the other barely has stumps. is this normal?

2) the smaller one with stumps has gills but they seem very small and not as full at the others? is this normal?

any help would be great thanks

Both of those are normal. Like people, axies grow at slightly different rates. Also some axies have smaller or larger gills than others. Sounds like they're doing great ;)

thanks, im just a bit worried becuase i started with three (admittedly one was very white) and the white one died, there only just getting their little front legs so there not very old and i feel like a bad mother haha.

they have a tendency to have their tails floating a bit and they have only just started doing this so im putting it down to them not being used to having legs, so their a bit off balenced maybe? or so i hope!

ive just bought a sponge filter to try and keep their tank a bit cleaner but im not sure on weather to use it or not, any help would be brilliant

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back