In our area the tap water is:

pH 7.54
Alkalinity mg/l CaCO3 150
mg/l HOC3 183
Calcium mg 92
Magnesium mg 8.5
Total Hardness mg/l CaCO3 264
Clark° (UK)18

I was planing to treat it with Tetra brand Aquasafe I already had but then i wasn't sure because of the iodine

I am planning to cycle the tank empty before adding axolotls.

Any advice about what if anything to add to the tap water whilst I cycle the tank

Thankyou

an ammonia source! its better to not add much to your water, just dechlorinate it, as far as the mention of Iodine, I think its to be avioded, does the Tetra Aquasafe have Iodine in it?

It says it adds iodine amongst other stuff..... spoke to someone who sells and keeps them who recommends it anyway....

I am also wondering about what water testing kits are reliable which are sold in the uk

API master freshwater test kits are great, showmaster dechlorinator is a winner for me. Also frozen brine shrimp are a great source of ammonia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back