Question: What is the best filter?

jumsyie101

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys I have a 40 gallon tank and just wondering what type is the best. I understand they need not much flow. The guy at the pet store recommended a fluval u3. Would you guys recommend this for an axolotl in a 40 gallon tank?

A lot of people recommend sponge filters, I personally use under gravel and have no problems with them so I don't think it really matters as long as the filter is the correct size for the tank (it should say on the packaging) and the current isn't too strong. This can be achieved by blocking the water outflow with plants or investing in a spray bar. Furthermore as long as it's doing what it should be (keeping your water clean) and not causing the axolotls any stress, it will be fine.

I like canister filters with full length spray bars, im running a Grech/sunsun filter off Ebay with UV.
mine is 370 gph on a 40 gallon, but is not set up conventionally, they sell smaller units more like 200 gph which would be more appropriate but u could always put a valve on the outlet of canister and adjust it to the right flow, this would give u more room for biomedia! the grech/sunsun is a really nice quality unit.:D

I would definitely go with a canister filter for any tank bigger than a 20long. If you use Hang-on-back filters with larger tanks, you get dead-spots and should supplement with sponge filters or at least air stones, but canister filters are superior in general, which is why they command the higher price.

Cheers Guys. Do you have any brands and types you guys would recommend and what do you have on your own setup?
Thanks for the help

Grech / sunsun/ aquatop and Jego
There big, cheap and do not leak. The jebo take the quick disconnect off and hook hoses directly cause they are cheasy. Eheim is supposed to be topnotch also.

I have a renafilstar and dislike everything about it.

Lol, I had a couple of Rena Filstars and I had nothing but great things to say about them.

To each their own!

Eheim are good. My only disconcern is that when one thing goes so does everything else at the same time.

I just use sponge filters on my axolotl tanks though I like to keep their tanks as simple as possible.

I really dislike the priming setup on the rena filstar xp2 i've got, it leaks from the swivel valves, and stops working intermittently for no apparent reason. maybe part of it is a lemon, but still what's up with the priming setup. oh well :D

backup sponge filters are always a brilliant idea, just keep the sponge media stuffed in an extra compartment of your canister filter (why I recommend a bigger filter valved back for flow) or other tanks filter system, and a battery powered air pump and you'll be covered.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back