Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP!! tiger salamander skin problem PLEASE HELP!!

caudata7

Reaction score
My tiger salamander ,rex hase a weird looking cut or sore things by his tail there little wounds that are shaped like circles it very little but I don't think it anything big but am still very worrid for him he acting fine he eats very well I fed him 3 worms today and he still comes out of his cave when I walk by. but I am still worried he is a part of the famliy and I don't know what I would do if he died........:cry::cry:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Can you be a little more specific? Or better yet, provide a picture!

What is your setup like? What kind of worms are you feeding and how often? Are worms all you feed? What kind of substrate do you have? What temperature do you keep him at?

caudata7

Reaction score
Well I feed him worms only the subtrate is eco earth and I and for the temp 70s sometimes very low 80s I will try to take a picture do you think he might die.:sad:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's hard to say, but your temperature is far too high for tiger salamanders. They require much cooler temperatures, no higher than the low 70's.

How moist do you keep the substrate? Eco earth is notorious for drying out quickly.

caudata7

Reaction score
I keep the eco earth always wet maybe even a little to much do you think that might have caused this or an ant got to him.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If your substrate is too damp, it can cause skin problems.

A lot of people mix coco fiber half-and-half with topsoil. It holds moisture and burrows better than either does alone. You're going for damp, but not wet. That is, when it's squeezed, you want it to hold it's shape, but you shouldn't be able to squeeze water out of it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1