Salt Bath Question

gfsward

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Grace
A few of my axolotls are starting to come down with some fungus on their gills. I was wondering if after the salt baths do their job and the fungus is gone, is it ok to put the axies back in the same water in the tank without the fungus coming back?
Thanks for any help!

If you have multiple axolotls coming down with fungus, there's probably a reason for it.

You can (and should) treat them, but without fixing the cause of the fungus in the first place, you're going to be fighting a losing battle.

That's what I thought, but I have no idea what the problem could be. Do you have any ideas?

What is your setup like? Substrate? Temperature? Filter? What kind of food are you offering?

I have bare bottom, I try to keep the temperature at 67 Fahrenheit max, using a sponge filter and they get fed worms and sometimes some pellets that I got from Michael Shrom.

Do you vacuum out the left over food? Did you cycle your tank? And what's the ammonia levels like?

yep I vaccume out whatever food is left, which isn't much usually. I try to clean up poopies whenever I see them.
This tank finished cycling a couple weeks ago but I checked the levels and amonia and nitrites are good. The nitrates were a bit high so I did a water partial water change today.

When you say high how high? Are the worms 'parasite free' I mean I know that's a stupid question to ask considering you could never be 100% sure but are they dug up or do you culture your own? Is there a size difference between the axies?

It was about 30 ppm.
I try to get them parasite free, but like you said, there's no guarantee. I buy the worms from someone who cultures them around here. I don't have enough room to culture them yet (still in college).
They're all about the same size except one's a little smaller. But he doesn't have any fungus.

Could it be stress? Are they visually overcrowded? Do you have enough hides for everybody? Some axies are just sensitive to that. I had one that always needed her own dark little corner or she got stressed. The boys were happy to share, but she had to have her own space.

hmmm that might be it. I don't have quite enough hides for each of them. I'll go get some more :D Thank you for helping me!!!

Could be just from the stress of being shipped around

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back