Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White fluffy patches on head and side

Sharnie

Reaction score
Hello, I am very worried about my baby sister's pet axolotl Toothless.
He's been terribly lethargic and is covered in white fluffy things. Last night the white fluffy pieces were on his head and side, but this morning it has also spread to his tail.

Since lurking through this forum, I've come to the conclusion that he has a fungus growing on him, however I'd like someone who knows more than I do to check before I start treatments. My father recently put in some rocks from the back yard for enrichment, and I believe that this is the harbinger of all this trouble. He has also lost his appetite.

I have a photograph, but the quality is not very good.
sharnie-albums-toothless-picture24844-photo.jpg

gfsward

Reaction score
First of all, you should probably change the substrate to sand or bare bottom. The gravel can cause impaction and will cause more harm to your axolotl.
To your question though, that certainly looks like fungus to me.
Good luck!

scooty16

Reaction score
Hi,

I am pretty certain that is fungus as well. Although I've never had an axolotl with fungus before. There is a pretty awesome Salt Bath picture tutorial on here that may help you if you decide to give Toothless a salt bath:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

If you don't feel comfortable giving him a salt bath, maybe putting him in a small confined tub with clean dechlorinated water and popping him in the fridge may help until you feel confident or perhaps your sister does it? You'll need to keep a clean bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge to ensure the temperature is the same when you clean him each day.

Also, please PLEASE tell your sister to remove that gravel ASAP. Gravel can be fatal to an axolotl can cause serious damage. He may have ingested some which may be making him feel a bit under the weather.

What does your sister feed Toothless? Do you know the tank temperature and parameters? Do you use dechlorinator? Do you know what filter your sister is using? Do you have another axolotl or any other creatures in the tank with him?

Hopefully we can reassure you and make this little fella feel comfortable soon! :happy:

Last edited:

scooty16

Reaction score
Also, it may be worth removing the rocks your dad put in the tank and giving the tank a good scrub from top to bottom! :happy:

Sharnie

Reaction score
What's the temperature? His head looks more like heat stress
I'm not sure of the exact temperature, but as i'm home most of the day I cycle ice in his water because our summers are quite unfriendly.

Sharnie

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your help, we got toothless out of the tank this morning and into fresh rain water in the fridge , unfortunately he passed away this afternoon at four o'clock.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!