Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Caudata.org

Bronte

Reaction score
Hi my tank is 11.8inches long x 8.7 tall x 6.3 wide
IS THAT BIG ENOUGH FOR AN leucistic axolotl??:happy:)

Bronte

Reaction score
Caudata.org
Hi my tank is 11.8inches long x 8.7 tall x 6.3 wide
IS THAT BIG ENOUGH FOR AN leucistic axolotl??)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
When you consider an adult axolotl can get 12 inches long, no, you won't be able to fit one in a tank that big.

Bronte

Reaction score
Ohh devostation
I really wanted an axolotl and that is my only tank
(can u get bigger tanks for $50??)

Cheva

Reaction score
try looking on gumtree in your area or the markets/garage sales etc ... alot of people give them away :)

also do alot of reading on here what you need to do before getting your axolotl.. You need sand, not gravel ( Just get some from bunnings) a filter, a hide (a ceramic pot works ) and your tank needs to be cycled before you add it :)

Minniechild

Reaction score
Also check ebay. I've got my 2ft tank off there for $15, and my 6ft was $270 (compared to $600 if I'd got it brand new!). A good rule is to go as big as you can fit in your house (or think you can fit... Yes, this is from experience :p), even if it means saving a week or two more to get the better setup (though at the moment there are HEAPS of tanks up for grabs at quite low prices, so it shouldn't be too much of a wait!)
The specific sand you're looking for at Bunnings is Play sand. It's about $9 a 20kg bag, and has a good sized grain.
Also, if you want to put in live plants, they'll need time to grow, so have them in whilst you're cycling. Consider getting a few guppies to help the cycling process- your axie will have great fun when they arrive home chasing down any survivors :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1