Are my axolotl old enough to sex yet?

rb6k

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 axolotl, I think they're both female - but the black one could potentially be male at a push. They're only about 6-8 months old (the shop weren't that sure) - I imagine it might be too early but was just hoping to get an idea in advance so I need to plan if we're going to be breeding these guys in future. (Better to prepare!)

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

Thanks!

Just to add they're a little bloated here because they were accidentally fed twice today! So there's no need to worry about their chubbyness they'll be skipping dinner tomorrow I think!!

Would also be good to get your opinions on whether the dark one is black or wild type. It was sold as black but it changes to a flecky greenish goldish colour sometimes and is darker other times.

How long are they? Size is more important than age. Have they reach 6 inches yet? They both look female there. The wild type maybe could be male but that's really iffy.

How long are they? Size is more important than age. Have they reach 6 inches yet? They both look female there. The wild type maybe could be male but that's really iffy.

Ah ok I don't think they're at 6 inches yet but they're not far off. Il measure them later and see for sure. Sounds like we agree on female female with iffyness. Also thought wild type was the case but shop said black etc so I thought I was wrong.

Thanks!

Here all the dark ones are called " black" I have noticed

So we're a few months on since I last asked opinion on this and now I am thinking the wild one might be male, the white is definitely female. Am I right or is my wild type going to keep me guessing? I am trying to prepare in case babies are on the horizon. They are the same age. You need to click the pics for it to make them look right, it stretches too much otherwise.

20130212_144014_zpsf0118184.jpg
20130212_144037_zpsf20eabef.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure. Could you try to get some pics of the whole bodies from the side, and also from above too?

I'm not sure. Could you try to get some pics of the whole bodies from the side, and also from above too?

I will try and get some decent pictures, what exactly am I looking for on them that could let me know for sure?

I reckon wild type is male and leucistic is female.

Apart from the males having more pronounced bumps under their tales, the body shapes can indicate their sex. A view from above will help enormously :)

I agree. Females have a rounder belly than males.

Thanks guys, sorry for the slow response, I was wary of using my phone over the tank so took me ages to get around to it.

I'm almost 100% certain that my white one is a female now. Just 'Ash' my dark/wild type that needs figuring out. It'll be ironic if it is a he, as the name Ash is short for Asherah which was chosen because it means "She who walks on water" :eek:

2013-02-23135438_zpsd03318a2.jpg

2013-02-23135527_zps40277e05.jpg

Sorry for the poorer quality, I can take more if these are inconclusive for any reason. The above ones I was being quick as I didn't want to drop my phone in the tank!!

I'd say it's a young male.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back