Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Old tank usable?

JessKB

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so I was happy to get my hands on an old 50 gallon tank. I've cleaned up plenty of old tanks before, but this one had oil from an old oil lamp in it that spilled and dried up. Is this something that can be cleaned and rinsed really well, or will is it not be safe to use? The tank was free so it won't be hard to pitch it if I have to.

AngieD

Reaction score
The only thing I have successfully used to shift oil has been washing up liquid. If you do use that, make sure you are REALLY thorough in rinsing it.
Try rubbing where the oil was with a bit of greaseproof paper afterwards and see if it goes clear, that should give you an idea of whether it got shifted or not.
After it is cleaned, put it in the bath, put the plug in the bath, and fill the tank with water and leave it overnight. Then you know it doesn't leak.

I hope this helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1