How often do you feed your axolotls?

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been feeding my 2 young 4.5 inch long ones every other day, a worm each or a cube of frozen bloodworm between them - is that right? I've just read a post where someone is feeding slightly bigger axies twice a day and I'm worried I'm starving them. They look pretty chunky to me

Hi,

My 2 are about the same size as yours I think.

When I first got them I tried feeding them every day but more often than not they'd refuse the food. At present they eat about once every 2 days but sometimes will go 3 days without eating. I offer a tidbit each day though as I have found they seem to like eating on different days to each other :rolleyes:

I have found loads of conflicting advice on the web about feeding frequency so seeing as though what goes in is 'coming out' ok I have decided to let my Axies set their own pace ;).

Don't know if that helps?

CJ

Every other day is just fine. Every two days works too. The colder your water the less you have to feed. I feed mine once every 2 days. Now this is just my opinion but twice a day is way to much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back