Not so Fun-gus

CalumR

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Calum
The unthinkable has happened, a fungus epidemic has spread through my tank over night. 5 infected 1 serious. only got room in the fridge for 1, moved the others into a spare tank and providing salt baths for all 5, very time consume its like a production line. I have removed all objects out of the tank, the sand is still in (next to come out on sunday). can the fungus cultivate in the filter? I'm running a Fluval 405.

Calum

First it is a bit late now but did you take any readings before you emptied it all out? Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia? What's the temperature like? Any of these factors could lead to a fungal outbreak, not nesecarrily just "pops up"

Although fridging aids fungal healing, it's not necessary. If I were you I would buy separate containers for each axolotl and find somewhere cool and dim lit to keep them while they're being treated. Keep up with the salt baths every 12 hours (basically once a day) and change container water daily. Not putting them in the fridge will also make it easier to keep them fed. Mass fungus is usually a sign of stress so in future always check your water quality so outbreaks are much less likely. Being as they've all been affected by it, I would definitely think it was something to do with the water or temperature.

I'm checking ph, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. And all is fine is there something else I should be checking?

I'm checking ph, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. And all is fine is there something else I should be checking?

Do you check your temperature? If so, do you know what it was before the axolotls were removed? Is your tank located near any radiators or windows?

It's located in the coolest part of the house, last time I looked which was last weekend it was 19 degrees.

Well that's very odd I must say! Fungus on axolotls rarely cultivates within the tank, it occurs when their "immunity" if you like is weakened which is usually caused by bad water quality and as you've checked and the levels are fine, that wouldn't be the issue. What do you feed them, do you siphon any food/waste. Does your filter produce a strong outflow current and how often do you do water change? Lastly (sorry for all the questions!) what does the fungus look like?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back