My axolotl-less cycle

Tjc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, new tank. 75litres of water, dechlorinated. Juwel sponge based filter installed. Pure aquarium balls added to help mature the filter. Temp 19c. A day or so later....

First readings:
Ph 7
Amonia 0.8 mg/l
nitrite 0.25 mg/l
nitrate 25 mg/l

read Cycling an Aquarium for Aquatic Animals on this site....

Do I do a partial water change now? If so what %

Do I add some frozen brine shrimp yet?

Please help as I am new to all this and have a lovely pair of little axolotles waiting for me in Wales when I can get the water quality right!

Thankyou
x

A couple things, what are pure aquarium balls? is it or do you have any bio media from an established tank? Are there any fish or whatever in your tank now? What is the parameters of your pure dechlorinaited tapwater before it is added to the tank?

The balls are a bacterial treatment, i put in the recommended dose for starting a new tank. It was a second hand tank (Fairly well cleaned out, but with some hard to get at places around the fixed in place filter holder). Only things in tank at present are the bogwood, slate and resin/plastic cave I plan to have in for the axies. I will check my dechlorinated water now. Thanks for replying!

Add brine shrimp now, dont do water change, is the bogwood fully cured? Seems you may have the cycle moving already but without knowing what your declorinaited water sources parameters are before adding to tank it is not poszible to tell.
Mine for example is 0-0-20

The bogwood was purchased as aquarium safe/ready. Was rinsed and has not turned the water brown. My water after it has been dechlorinated, but not left to stand for any time is:

Ph 6.5
Ammonia 0.1 mg/l
Nitrite 0.0 mg/l
Nitrate 10 mg/l

added brine shrimp now

How will I know when to add more brine shrimp or do a partial water change?

Thanks so much for your help - most kind! x

how much brine shrimp? mine comes in little cubes. Do I remove it after a certain length of time like you would uneaten food with axies in there? x

I think in your case you wont have to add much brine shrimp over next couple weeks, just keep up the ammonia,maybe shoot for 1-3 and your already getting a little ammonia, nitrates and nitrites from somewhere. Just need something to feed the bacteria cycle, I cheat and use convict cichlids, a little cruel one may argue but they are tough and mean little buggers.
I wouldnt worry about a water change untill your ammonia is zero your nitrites are zero and your nitrates are way up there into the unsafe zone, then do a water change ,just need to get those nitrates down to a safe level, wait a couple days test again and if its all good (0,0,20 or less) add axie or do another partial water change if nitrates are too high, if you have ammonia or nitrates dont change water just wait a while longer for it to cycle... This could take two-four weeks depending on the bacteria balls effectiveness.

Todays readings:
ph 8.5 (so this has risen)
ammonia 0.4 mg/l (so this is dropping)
nitrite 4.0 mg/l (so this is rising)
nitrate 10 mg/l (so this is dropping)

Do i add more ammonia source (brine shrimp) - I can still see some in there from last time...
Do I do a water change, if so what %
Is this going OK?

I have read quite a lot, but am struggling to relate it to my readings.....
I added more bacteria balls as the water really clouded up the other day. It is nice and clear again now.

Im not understanding the drop in nitrate. What kind of test are you using?
Do you have any plants? Perhaps the bacteria balls you have added are doing that?
Not a big problem just throws off my interpretation of reults.

Other numbers are improving, add some more shrimp. The cloudiness would most likely be a bacteria bloom, good thing at this stage really, but do a small water.change when it happens, 20% would suffice. This is to reduce the bacteria bloom and sebsequent dieoffs. Could also be from the driftwood, same instructions there as well. Just add some more shrimp afterwards.

Lets not add any more bacteria balls, sounds like it is coming along well enough.:happy:

Thanks...I got scared with the cloudiness lol. So kind of you to help....gives me much more confidence!

We're the balls safe with your axolotl?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back