Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Controlling algae in axolotl tank

xasdfcore

Reaction score
I have a 20 g setup for my two juvenile axies. I'm wondering if there's anything I could keep with them temporarily to help with algae and plant matter. I have a couple of large snails in my community tank. I just feel Like cleaning it myself stresses them out too much ): I'm not worried about them eating anything because they're so small and haven't even looked at the guppies that have been in there for weeks. I originally put them in to cycle the tank and just left them for the axies to have When they're ready.
But anyway.... Algae builds up fast. Any advice? There's no light on the axie tank that would promote growth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1