Question: Does tank affect growth?

jeneral

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jenna
I was wondering if the size of the tank & how many are in the tank have an effect on the growth rate of larva/juvies? I have noticed that every time I put my juvies into a bigger tank (usually to make room for more babies) they have a growth spurt. Does keeping a lot in a small tank make them grow slower?

It can based off of water parameters, nitrates will get out of hand much quicker in smaller tanks & will affect growth ratez. Also some fish put out growth limiting hormones (supposedly) and maybe axies do as well?
Other effects of a small tank on growth im unsure of, maybe less exercise so axies are less muscular :rofl:

I think yes - just based upon observation but not necessarily just a result of tank size per se. I ALWAYS get some have a growth spurt when I reorganise my tanks to spread them out a bit and regroup by size.

It seems to me that competition has something to do with it as well - some always get more than their " fair share" while others seem to get enough to keep them growing (but less slowly) and before I know it I have some that are large and very plump while others lag behind.

Resize them again, spread them out some more and same again in every tank - but of course, smaller tanks consistently end up with less and less axies in them.

I think they are starting to get to the point where i need to split them up again so I guess they will have another growth spurt soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back