Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating juvenile

2gsom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, My juvenile Steve is floating on the surface of the water listing to the side a bit. He is fed only live black worms. I put him/her in a tank with a larger axie yesterday (yes I may have made a mistake) I saw Steve floating this afternoon and removed him immediately put back into a smaller container. no obvious injuries or damage. the tank is a bare bottom tank with a few floating plants. Steve is my first axie of my own the rest belong to the kids so I am quite worried. Any ideas?

Attachments

• steve2.jpg
    steve2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 256
  • steve 1.jpg
    steve 1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 264

2gsom

Reaction score
Hi Kaysie, Unfortunately the kids love earthworms and get very distressed when I have suggested feeding them to the axies. So when researching I thought that blackworms were the next best thing. If you have any other suggestions I would be happy to hear them. . BTW Steve is back on the bottom of his container today, Phew much relieved.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Hi Kaysie, Unfortunately the kids love earthworms and get very distressed when I have suggested feeding them to the axies. So when researching I thought that blackworms were the next best thing. If you have any other suggestions I would be happy to hear them. . BTW Steve is back on the bottom of his container today, Phew much relieved.

Did you find it was more his rear end causing the floating? One of my axolotls acts similarly when he's constipated but likewise as he's now relieved of the floating there would have been something passed. Did he go to the toilet in the container?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Blackworms may not be providing all the necessary nutrition, either. I want to say they've got a low calcium/phosphorous ratio, but don't quote me on that.

You'd be best off providing supplementation with pellets or something of the sort.

2gsom

Reaction score
Hi again. Thanks for the Tip Kaysie I will keep perserveering with the pellets then. I do give them about twice a week but will up it. . Steve was listing all along his/her body no evidence of the rear higher. I thought he might have been hit by the bigger one and hurt or dazed. Much better now back in a smaller container and alone. Another tank coming for us then...

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Hi again. Thanks for the Tip Kaysie I will keep perserveering with the pellets then. I do give them about twice a week but will up it. . Steve was listing all along his/her body no evidence of the rear higher. I thought he might have been hit by the bigger one and hurt or dazed. Much better now back in a smaller container and alone. Another tank coming for us then...

Glad to hear he's doing better :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!