Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating plants

Goobs

Reaction score
Hi guys, i've currently got some riccia floating in my tank to block the light. It helped to block enough light for the axis to be comfortable but let enough through for viewing. Lately i've notice hair alge growing in the riccia and binding it all together and i've had to throw out big chunks of it so i've only got a little left. The light is quite bright in there now so my axies are all hiding away in their hides.

What are the other options i've got for floating plants? If you could post pictures too that would be a big help.

jeneral

Reaction score
Its not a floating plant, but I lay a chux cloth out under the light to block some light. It works well in my tanks, you can really see the difference when you move part of it. My axies also don't seem to get startled when I turn the light on, they hardly move a muscle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1