Chinese Warty Newt not active?

Miketodd

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I am new to Newts and currently have a Chinese Warty newt. However, He isn't very active. I have a pagoda that goes in a fish tank that is his hiding spot and he never leaves it during the day. He will come out some at night but we don't see him very often. I know that these aren't always out and about, but is it normal for him to hide all day,every day? Thanks, I'm just a little bit concerned.

Could you maybe add a picture of their tank set up and the newt ?

Ooooops....now where did I put it :/

Found it . No idea how I managed to do that :)

Please post a picture of the set up.

ok, I will post a pic as soon as I take one. It is a 10gal aquarium with river rock on the bottom, some fake plants and this chinese pagoda that acts like a cave. I also have a whisper in tank filter.

Here is a pic of the cage setup.

How long have you had him for? Has he always behaved like this?

Your set up looks acceptable. There are some things you can do to improve it (raise the water level more, replace the plastic plants with live ones), but its not obvious that the set up itself is causing your newt to act this way. Have you checked your water parameters? Those large river rocks can trap detritus and make it harder to keep the water clean. A sand substrate is easier in that regard.

I agree with firedreams - increase the water level to the tanks full capacity and check your water parameters. I would also add more plants (especially live ones like elodea and/or hornwort) so the newt has more hiding spaces as that will help it feel more secure.
What is the water temperature?
Newly acquired wild caught newts can take some time to adjust to new surroundings. If all its needs are met it will become more outgoing with time.

Heather

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back