Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Normal behaviour for tiger sal?

Kathryn93

Reaction score
Hi I've had my tiger sal for a few weeks now he's settled in great and is growing, he is very active on some days then will sit in his hide on others. he follows me if I walk to one side of my room he will go to that side of his cage and vice versa. He will also run at me when he sees me and try to climb up side of cage and will sit on his tail! (Looks a bit like tiger from Winnie the Pooh) he will some times lift his tail up in the air, was just wondering if this is all normal healthy behaviour as he has been so active lately.

I have added a pic of him sitting on his tail

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 353

JessKB

Reaction score
Seems like just normal begging behavior to me. One of mine does the "stand on his tail" thing when begging. He has no shame.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
His 'following' you is a conditioned response to feeding. Climbing on glass with what appears to be sitting on its tail happens again as a response to anticipatory feeding. Periods of activity and inactivity (including burrowing for days to weeks) are normal. Reagrding 'begging' behavior, my tigers are worse than my beagle dog.

He is an attractively colored animal!

FX1C

Reaction score
His 'following' you is a conditioned response to feeding. Climbing on glass with what appears to be sitting on its tail happens again as a response to anticipatory feeding. Periods of activity and inactivity (including burrowing for days to weeks) are normal. Reagrding 'begging' behavior, my tigers are worse than my beagle dog.

He is an attractively colored animal!

Worse than a Beagle!!! 0.0 lol :D

Nikki Dee

Reaction score
Seems like some pretty normal behavior. Mine does the same thing, even go as far as climbing on top of his cave to reach me better. Theyre totally shameless when it comes to food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!