Axolotyl admirer

Winglet

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm so glad I've found this site full of information about keeping axolotyls (amongst other interesting creatures). :happy:

We've never owned an axolotyl, and my husband is rather taken with them... so I've been doing some research to find out about their requirements prior to us making a decision on whether or not to have one join our menagerie.

We share our lives with Cocker Spaniels (English), chooks, ducks, Japanese quail, and rabbits... and perhaps soon an axolotyl or two !

They are lovely addictive creatures :)

I'm sure they would fit right into your
menagerie >o_o< = :)

Thanks Nikki71...

We've bought a 3 foot tank today, with adjustable flow strength on an internal filter which allows us to direct the spray of water where we want (so we've directed it against the glass on the highest flow setting, which we'll change to the lowest setting before we put our first axolotyl in). I wouldn't have even thought of the advantages of all that without this site, and would have gone for one that could create curtains of bubbles with long airstones if it wasn't for the valuable information here.

We've set it up with white aquarium sand in the bottom & have a thermometer in place so we can watch for any changes in water temperature. The filter is running & we've put water ager/conditioner & bacteria in to get things going. There's no lid, and we'll need to make up a netting 'lid' for it, which we'll make out of some black plastic garden mesh that's leftover from outdoor activities.

We pick up our first axolotyl tomorrow afternoon, and they've said that she's 'black' but she's actually a beautiful deep purple colour & has some lovely brown patterning on the top of her tail amongst other areas. They sell axolotyl pellets, which are minimum 48% protein, minimum 9% fat, maximum 5% fibre & maximum 8% moisture.

We have some clean plastic aquarium plants & a hollow aquarium half log around somewhere that I'd planned to put in there, but I can't figure out where I've put them, so will get some tomorrow when we collect her. I have one more place to look which involves shifting some things to get to, so I'm hoping to find them in there this afternoon so that I can add them to the tank.

We plan to get a male axolotyl once she's settled in, and will be sure to wait until we find one whose colour takes our fancy before bringing one home.

Names are yet to be worked out... Pinky & The Brain seem to be top of the list for the husband & child at present... we'll see.:rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back