Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

?!?!

Chugga

Reaction score
LOL sorry ... I of course meant " yes a female with a belly full of eggs and changes in temperature" .

I moved house - set up a temp at the new house, put them in it, bought old tank over and put them in it a couple of days later and hey presto

Chugga

Reaction score
Well yeah moving house would be one of the more expensive and disruptive ways of doing it :eek:

Our girl got pretty fat on it just before we shifted (eggs) - we didnt intentionally breed them (hence my not being properly set up this time around).

Having done it the hard way, I would really recommend getting well set up first if you arent already - I was so unprepared and as a result my babies were disrupted far more than I believe they should have been even with culling anything that looked a bit " iffy" . Trying to keep them fed without an established daphnia colony meant having to purchase more on a regular basis and no doubt slower growth as well (although its my first lot so I have nothing to compare them to).

If I was deliberately breeding I would have ensured my girl was in peak condition first to reduce the risk of her getting sick/being vulnerable after the fact (I consider myself lucky there since she had not long before had a leg injury and had just regrown her leg) - made sure I had ample containers and filtration and a good stock of all the food needed at the various stages of growth.

I think I have actually been quite lucky not to have a major disaster on my hands ..... but I have also worked really hard to try and ensure that didnt happen.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing aye LOL.

Not suggesting that you havent sorted all that - just looking back at what I would have done differently.

lea

Reaction score
wine, soft music and earthworms served on a bed of bloodworms..........;)
Sorry...clean, cool water. I have heard that changing the hours of light they get could help but I dont know how true it is. Have you tried moving one out into another tank for a while and then reuniting them again
I think we are coming to a close to our breeding season here in oz so might have to wait unitl next year

jeneral

Reaction score
Mine seem to breed every time they move tanks. I had one batch when I added my male to my 2.5 ft tank, another lot when I moved them all to my 4 ft tank, then I split up the boys and girls and a week after putting a girl in with my boys i had more eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1