Colour clarification - what do they mean by ....

Chugga

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
The leucistics spots/speckles not migrating off the back?

Since my girl has rows of spots horizontal across her body that go down to her abdomen (have posted a pic in gallery where you can see them behind her gills) I find myself thinking "Huh?" because last time I checked her back wasnt around her knees (I know we girls sag with age but not THAT much)

Hehe no worries!

Im guessing that the colour description isnt entirely accurate and the markings just go where they go.

It wasnt about the amount of spots but rather some sort of genetic trait that prevents spots from migrating off the " top" of the axy.

I can think of two quite plausible explanations .... either the " colouring" information is based on very old observations and leucistics have since become more diverse or;

Since axies can't read, they arent aware of the rules and therefore arent aware they should prevent pigmentation from travelling beyond the defined parameters ;)

Some of the color spots will migrate, but the vast majority of them do not. That's why leucistics end up with 'freckles' of brown spots, and aren't entirely brown like a normal wildtype.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back