Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Missing limb

Silver

Reaction score
Levi recently bit off the end of Jori's tail. So far her behavior hasn't changed- she's still swimming around and acting like her regular self, but the wound looks kind of ragged. How can I tell if it's healing? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? They're in separate tanks right now (hers is just a little critter keeper without a filter), and the temperature in my room is roughly 60 degrees F (maybe lower). I don't even know if it's safe to put them back together once she heals :( They were in a tank together for four months without anything like this happening. If anything, I expected Jori to take a bite out of Levi, and only because she's occasionally food aggressive.

Chugga

Reaction score
Back when my axies were on stones I had an incident where the water pump slid down and trapped my girls leg and she injured it pulling it free. The damage was pretty minor but Toothless decided suddenly she was axolotl tucker rather than an axolotl companion. He not only had a jolly good munch on her leg but chomped her tail right down as well. His tail is less than perfect (since before we got him). They were in a VERY small tank together (just 50ltrs) before they were rehomed with me so I suspect nibbling here and there would not have been uncommon and he thought "Meh why bother growing it back all handsome when shes just going to ruin it again!"

It seemed that she put her energy into the "health essentials" - her leg which, at one stage was naturally amputated at the knee and the tail bit that was right down to the bone healed comparatively quickly - the cosmetics - well she doesnt seem to be in such a rush to get herself looking " all pretty perfection" BUT having babies no doubt has had an impact on that.

It did take a while but once the actual wounds were healed over (before she actually regrew the lower leg and foot) I put them back in together and they were fine.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Levi recently bit off the end of Jori's tail. So far her behavior hasn't changed- she's still swimming around and acting like her regular self, but the wound looks kind of ragged. How can I tell if it's healing? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? They're in separate tanks right now (hers is just a little critter keeper without a filter), and the temperature in my room is roughly 60 degrees F (maybe lower). I don't even know if it's safe to put them back together once she heals :( They were in a tank together for four months without anything like this happening. If anything, I expected Jori to take a bite out of Levi, and only because she's occasionally food aggressive.

Although it looks "ragged" it doesn't necessarily mean it's in a bad way. All I would do is try and keep the water clean and quality in check. Keep an eye out for any sore tissue and fungus an obviously if it occurs, salt baths are your aid! I've found most of the time, as axolotls are excellent healers, little to no treatment is needed :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1