Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weird film at the top of containers

cowpachipixi

Reaction score
:confused: Any idea as to what this is? It is clear, but if u look at an angle u can see the clear film, kinda like oil on the surface of water, but clean, not colors or anything to it. Ive done water changes after every feeding but this stuff just wont go away... any thoughts??? starting to get worried it might hurt my babies..:(

FX1C

Reaction score
Sounds like the film you get on still water... You could try some floating plants or some air bubbles to break up the surface, but I guess that's dependent on the size of the babies - hopefully one of the experts can help clarify as well :)

You could also try sucking it off with a turkey baster thingy & then topping up with clean dechlorinated water :)

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
It's just stagnant water and is completely harmless. Stirring the water occasionally may clear it but wont prevent it. Nothing to worry about though :happy:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Like Dinky said, it's just a protein film. Nikki's suggestion of an airstone is excellent.

cowpachipixi

Reaction score
Whew! ty so much for relieving my fears! I have 24 babies atm in seperate small containers, so I cant do the air stone yet. They are just now getting their lil stubs in, so I'm scared to put them together at this time bc of the canibal stage. When can they be put together? They are all eating very good. Ty for the responses! Love this site with all its info and the ppl that are here to help one another! :D

JessKB

Reaction score
There is no such thing as a "cannible stage" yes smaller axolotls are more likely to nip. Even adult axolotls nip. An axolotl is an animal with a huge mouth and a tiny brain. Eating is the only thing they are good at, and will try to stuff anything smaller than them into their mouth.However, if proper feeding and space is provided, they arent going to hurt each other.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Jess. Younger animals are more likely to eat each other, but I think that's an artifact of higher densities of animals in the tank. Adults, you keep only a few together, versus larvae where you're more likely to keep 10 together in a tank.

If you keep them well-fed and have plenty of visual barriers, they're no more likely to eat each other than adult axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1