Question: They're coming! What to do?

minxytota

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I'm new to axies but I'm really excited and have been doing all kind of research on how to care for them. My issue is this: I'm nine month's pregnant and will most likely be in the hospital when my axies get here in the mail. My roommates don't do pets but have offered to help when the little guys get here but need a step by step on what to do. I'm planning on having snails and guppies in there from a well established tank for food until I can get home from the hospital but I'm worried about the step by step. Help?

Can you postpone the delivery....
Of the axolotls not your baby ;) lol

I'd be putting off rather than putting that kind of pressure on non-animal orientated flat mates :)

Good luck with it all :D

I wouldn't have your friends feed your axolotls. There are so many horror stories of friends overfeeding axolotls and fouling the water. Also, your axolotls might not eat for a few days after they arrive. They certainly aren't going to starve the couple days you're in the hospital. When they arrive just float their bag in the tank water and add a little bit over the course of a half hour to adjust the temperature and release them into their new home.

Please read the caudata care sheet on axolotls: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_mexicanum.shtml

Skip on the snails because they can cause more problems than good

Dont agree with this statement at all.
Keep your friends away from your tank, they will do more harm than good, except for putting them in the tank when they arrive. Is there anyway you can delay delivery (of the axolotls) ?

Last edited:
Lol, no I can't delay delivery they're already on their way. I thought they were going to come sooner than they actually did when I ordered them. So my axies should be fine with some free roam food population and just floating them like fish when they get here.

How big are the axolotls. Id forget the fish of I were you. Especially if the axolotls are under six inches and absolutely 100% if the tank is new.

Lol, no I can't delay delivery they're already on their way. I thought they were going to come sooner than they actually did when I ordered them. So my axies should be fine with some free roam food population and just floating them like fish when they get here.

hmmm sounds like you're in a bit of a sticky situation here, do you have any friends/relatives etc into fishkeeping or have axolotls? maybe get them to pick them up from you once they arrive. From experience they probably wont eat for the first 4-7 days after they get there so no need to worry (as long as all goes well in the delivery room ;) ) It would probably be best for you to not leave any fish or snails in the tank, just some hides and clean water.
If you have no one into aquariums etc then,
Have your tank set up which I'm sure you do, get a piece of paper and write in like capitals what to do for water changes (is your tank cycled?) and have it all spread out for them, that way you don't end up with tap water in your tank.

Good luck! :p

I'm left asking one question....

How long have the axies already been in transit?

It seems like some pretty poor organising to order them at the same time as having a baby - a bit like people who buy a puppy as they're having a baby & then work out how much work is involved in raising a child - then we know which one gets rehomed!

Best of luck with it all! It sounds like your going to have your hands full for a long time to come!

What size axies do you have coming? If they are only little and you could find someone local who can spare some live Daphnia that would keep them amused for a couple of days without worrying too much.

Otherwise pellets can be cut and any left overs removed easily enough with a turkey baster :)

Good luck with both deliveries :)

Is there anyone who lives near minxytota and can give her a helping hand?

"It seems like some pretty poor organising to order them at the same time as having a baby - a bit like people who buy a puppy as they're having a baby & then work out how much work is involved in raising a child - then we know which one gets rehomed!"

I've been researching axies for over a year now. I know what I'm getting into as far as both are concerned (axies and babies). I ordered the axies over a week ago which would have timed everything out perfectly except for some issues with shipping that are making them come while I'm in the hospital.

"How big are the axolotls. Id forget the fish of I were you. Especially if the axolotls are under six inches and absolutely 100% if the tank is new."

The axies from my understanding are a little over four inches. There is nothing new in the tank except a 60% water change and some rearrangement of rocks. The guppies I put in there are babies, the biggest is maybe half an inch and they are from a disease free established tank.

Though basically what I'm hearing is that my axies will be fine for the first three days as long as they're floated for 30 minutes with gradual water introduction and if they do get hungry, and we ignore the concern about snails being impacted (thin shelled pond snails that I can easily crush by accident, also from an established disease free tank), they'll have baby guppies and a few snails to munch on. Right?

They will not be in any danger of starving to death after a few days without food, especially as they may get to munch on some baby guppies. I would personally keep my axolotls hungry rather than let an inexperienced person mess about with their tank. The problem you may find is they could decide to bite each other as 4" axolotls llike to eat every day. Good luck with the baby.

"It seems like some pretty poor organising to order them at the same time as having a baby - a bit like people who buy a puppy as they're having a baby & then work out how much work is involved in raising a child - then we know which one gets rehomed!"

I've been researching axies for over a year now. I know what I'm getting into as far as both are concerned (axies and babies). I ordered the axies over a week ago which would have timed everything out perfectly except for some issues with shipping that are making them come while I'm in the hospital.

"How big are the axolotls. Id forget the fish of I were you. Especially if the axolotls are under six inches and absolutely 100% if the tank is new."

The axies from my understanding are a little over four inches. There is nothing new in the tank except a 60% water change and some rearrangement of rocks. The guppies I put in there are babies, the biggest is maybe half an inch and they are from a disease free established tank.

Though basically what I'm hearing is that my axies will be fine for the first three days as long as they're floated for 30 minutes with gradual water introduction and if they do get hungry, and we ignore the concern about snails being impacted (thin shelled pond snails that I can easily crush by accident, also from an established disease free tank), they'll have baby guppies and a few snails to munch on. Right?

Sounds like a plan ;)

There are many horror story of axies becoming impacted by eating snails

The snails she is talking about are the little pond snails. The snail horror stories you speak of are about snails getting stuck in the mouth, huge apple snails, mainly. ;)

Thanks everyone for your input. I've uploaded some pictures of my setup and started a new thread in the photo area but since we're already discussing the "Help I'll be the hospital" theme here I thought I'd repost here as well.
See any possible complications with this set up since I don't know how soon I'll be here to monitor my babies in their new home?
Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Forum - minxytota's Album: Axi Tank

I just wanted to thank everyone once again for their input. My axies made it and one of my roommates got them successfully in their tank and out of their baggies. I was able to feed them a few days after their arrival and I see no snails in the tank but I do still have a population of baby guppies so I'm guessing they didn't get too hungry with the whole process.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back